Spring is upon us! Here is your Spring Maintenance Checklist
- Window sills, door sills, and thresholds: Fill cracks, caulk edges, repaint or replace if necessary.
- Gutters and downspouts: Pull leaves and debris from gutters and downspouts. Reattach gutters that have pulled away from the house.
- Siding: Clean siding with a pressure washer to keep mold from growing. Check all wood surfaces for weathering and paint failure. Check to see if any paint is peeling, scrape loose paint and sand smooth before painting.
- Window and door screens: Clean screening and check for holes. Replace broken, worn, or missing screens. Wind can ruin screens and frames if they are allowed flap and move so make sure they are securely fastened.
- Hot water heater: Check that the circulating pump and motor are working correctly.
- Evaporative air conditioner: Clean unit, check belt tension and adjust if needed. Replace cracked or worn belt.
- Foundation: Check foundation walls, floors, concrete, and masonry for cracking, heaving, or deterioration. If a significant number of bricks are losing their mortar, call a professional.
- Roof: Inspect roof surface & perform a thorough cleaning.
- Deck and porches: Check all decks, patios, porches, stairs, and railings for loose members and deterioration. Open decks and wood fences need to be treated every 4-6 years, depending on how much exposure they get to sun and rain.
- Landscape: This is a natural for spring home maintenance. Cut back and trim all vegetation and overgrown bushes from structures.
- Sprinklers: Check lawn sprinkler system for leaky valves, exposed lines, and improperly working sprinkler heads.